Has teenage pregnancy increased in this generation? No, the amount of parents who jump into marriage due to this has decreased. In the YouTube video, “What’s Your Issue: Romanticizing Teen Pregnancy,” different shows and famous people’s are portrayed; this demonstrates how media has highlighted the life of a young pregnancy.
Different shows/movies are shown here: Juno, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, and 16 and Pregnant. All of which show the highlights of being pregnant while a teenager and unwed. This video is a protest towards such media. It petitions for media to stop showing the highlights and start showing the real hardships these parents face. Along with the shows it also charges celebrities to be open and honest about the difficulties they face when having a child at such a young age.
Just a few of the hardships these parents face are custody battles, child care, strained relationships, and school. In the article, “There’s No Honor in Unwed Motherhood,” Kay S. Hymowitz expresses the difficulties that have occurred to unwed mothers. The main point of the article focuses on a court session over two teenage unwed mothers suing for being refused the right to be in the National Honor Society in their high school. Hymowitz begins the article with a shocking test result. “When 10th-graders were asked whether they would consider having a child without being married, only 53% said no. The remaining 47% said either they would or they weren’t sure.” This shows the shocking evidence of how “normal” unwed childbearing is. She goes on to express how schools have begun to accept the teenage pregnancies. They have begun to appoint such students as high “spirit” leaders. On top of that, some schools have established “day care centers for students’ babies.” According to the article this is not always the case. The court case focusing on two girls being rejected from schools National Honor Society. The school boards argument is “The admissions committee did not feel that someone who had engaged in premarital sex should be held up as a role model.” In retaliation, “I made a mistake,” concedes Ms. Glass. “It’s just that others haven’t gotten caught.” Her argument was that many people participate in sex, boys and girls, but only the girls who become pregnant are reprimanded. Hymowitz last point is that as the girls point out, not every pregnant mother is a lost cause. One of the girls states she wants to be a teacher and hasn’t dropped out of school yet. Motherhood
I have three brothers who have had kids out of wedlock while in their teens. Witnessing all different types of custody battles has opened my eyes to see that unwed parenting while young is not idealistic. They have had to deal with custody battles, both in and out of court; child care, deciding money based off of both parent’s pay check; and school, having to spend time away from the children in order to continue to enrich their future. I agree with the YouTube video, media has created a fairytale view of having a child while still young. The show The Secret Life of the American Teenager illustrates the happy lifestyle one lives while in a custody battle. The underlying story is that the mother has to learn a whole new routine at life at a pivotal moment where she should be deciding her future. Sadly, the two parents do not always come together and fall in love. None of my brothers have gotten with their children’s mothers.
Along with the article, I agree that it is difficult to succeed in school while trying to take care of a child. At such a young age, not many people have enough money to put a child in day care. This results in the parent having to take on a job while trying to go to school. Many teenagers have a job but when trying to pay for child care; a fast food restaurant might not cut it for high expenses. Other jobs require more of one’s time. On the other hand, I do not feel one should be reprimanded for having a child. I would never wish my brothers children to not have been born. Children can be a wonderful gift of joy.
Many people partake in having sex but having a child is a different story entirely. I still feel media should take more time to express the hardships it places on people and everyone should take into account the difficulties a child brings before having a child.